Year 12 student-athletes are advised that applications for the Elite Athletes and Artistic Performers Entry Scheme are now open. The University encourages international, national and state representation in sports and artistic performance and recognises the positive alignment that elite training and participation has to the University’s academic mission. This Entry Scheme provides for additional consideration to be given for students intending to study at the University of Melbourne.
Prospective students are also eligible to apply for Sport scholarship’s, which provide elite national (i.e A-Leauge) and state (i.e. NPL) and club student athletes with financial and in-kind support to assist them to reach their potential whilst studying at Melbourne. Melbourne University has in previous provided support for a range of A-League, National Youth League, National Premier League, National Training Centre, Australian-U17 and U-23 representatives. Support is also granted for student athletes who represent the University through club soccer at State League levels.
There is a variety of Sports Scholarship support on offer which can include:
- Up to $4,000 to assist with competition and travel costs
- Physiotherapy services
- Professional Strength and Conditioning coaching and programming
- 12 month Student Aquatic and Fitness (ScholarFit) membership
- Subsidies for inter-varsity representative sporting events
Sports Scholarship holders undertake to represent the University of Melbourne at appropriate inter-varsity championships or events during their the term of their scholarship. Melbourne University also assists with Elite Athlete Recognition, which further provides provides flexible study assistance for recognised elite athletes, who due to their sporting endeavours, have extensive, yet inflexible, commitments that may interfere with their study. Assistance may include:
- Timetabling to suit sporting commitments
- Renegotiation of assignment and assessment deadlines.
- Flexibility around meeting minimum attendance requirements
- Alternate Exam Arrangements – Flexible Study Assistance Request Form
- Important! If you require flexible study assistance for an exam, you must complete a Flexible Study Assistance Request Form in addition to an application for Elite Athlete Recognition.
- Cross institutional study if required to temporarily relocate.
Offers will be made to applicants in mid-October and early December and will provide guaranteed scholarship support in the event applicants are offered a place to study at the University in 2019. Please visit the Elite Athlete Program website to find out more information or visit the Elite Athlete Entry Scheme website.